Monday, August 8, 2011

How I Met Your Mother - 2030 version

It's a mesmerizing summer morning in Glasgow; a perfect one for a holiday. Ah, holiday! What a strange word it seems right now. When was the last time I went on a holiday? I probably must get out of my bed and think about it later as I am already late for the hospital. Following the usual routine, I am preparing a low calorie breakfast as well as a high energy breakfast simultaneously; one for me and one for Danny boy (Danish) – my 14 year old son. I am now going to his room to wake him up and it's going to take another 10 minutes to make him open his eyes. After imposing a compulsion to finish his breakfast, I am reluctantly giving him 20 pounds which he had asked for. I am not going to drop him all the way down to his school since I am already late for the hospital. Being a consultant in UK is a very hectic job. I am missing Danny's mother right now.

Danny is not happy with me as he should be. I hardly take him out because of my work commitments. He has no siblings to play with and in all these years, he has been playing the role of a post man between his mother and his father. It has been 10 years since the separation of Aaliya and me for the reasons which are still not fully understood by any of us. I had to be both father and mother for him. I have done justice with this responsibility, but I could never be like Aaliya.

'I will never make my life hell by having an arranged marriage just like you' Danny says to me out of the blue while playing PS. 'What makes you say I had an arranged marriage?' I am in a state of shock. 'Because I have never seen any love between you both, it doesn't happen in a love marriage'. Danny boy has a logical point. 'Let me tell you how I met your mother'. I've decided to reveal the untold love story to my only son.

It was a summer of 2008; 22 years back. I was a bit older than you. No, I didn’t meet her in school, college or through a friend. I met her on Facebook. Yes! Facebook. She didn't have a profile picture so I didn’t have a clue how she looked like. I used to see her comments in one of my friends wall. Out of envy, I sent her a friend request. Boyhood is an immature stage of one's life so I can only blame my immaturity for such an action. My friend was not that good looking hence I fancied my chances even more with that girl whom I didn’t even know at that stage. 'If this girl can talk to him, she can definitely talk to me'. A few days later she was in my Facebook friend list and windows live messenger. I found her very arrogant and it was always me who initiated a topic of discussion. The case was opposite on my friend's wall. There was a drastic change in her behavior with my friend. I decided to turn the tables in my favor as soon as possible. 2 months after the acceptance of my FB friend request, I asked for her digits which she rejected right away. I didn’t stop trying. On the same very day, I used the tactics of emotional blackmailing that worked in the right way. And now I had her number. Things started to change. Initially she was always in her full attitude but a month later, she used to get curious if I held back myself. Your dad used to be good with words, my son! And girls always fall for such guys who are good at this art. That's so stupid of them. Anyhow, my FB wall started to be invaded by her more frequently. After another month, I asked her out to date me, which she accepted. I was on cloud 9.

Winning a girl from another guy gives you such a triumphant feeling. We attended our high and medical schools together. Life was perfect. We both made the most happening couple of our college life. We got engaged in our final year and were tied in the most beautiful relationship – marriage; a Love Marriage.

That's how I met your mother; a couple of decades ago! I have never been as lonely as you have been watching me in all these years.  I had an impeccable love story, but it was sad for all of us that we could only be together for 5 years after marriage. Perhaps, we spent more than enough time together before we actually got married. Excess of everything is dangerous. So my dear son, it's not about love or an arrange marriage; it's about how you carry on a relationship inside a well-defined boundary. Let's go to sleep Danny boy, may you tell the same story of how you met his mother in the presence of your wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment